The Digital Audio Capture (DAC) app is an additional recording method available for the AP French, German, Italian, and Spanish Language and Culture Exams and AP Music Theory Exams. The 2019 version will be available for download in spring 2019.
The DAC App:
- Simplifies the recording and upload process: With other recording methods, school staff must save, name, and upload students’ files after the exam. The DAC app handles these steps. After an exam that used the DAC app for recording, school staff only need to log in to the DAS portal to submit the files for scoring.
- Ensures exam security: The DAC app has built-in security measures that restrict access to other applications on the Apple iPad tablet. Once the DAC app is launched, students will not be able to access the internet or other apps.
- Is a free app: In the spring, coordinators will get an email announcing that the DAC app is available for download.
- Can be used for practice before the exam: Coordinators will get instructions for student practice with the app before the exam. This will ensure that students are confident using the app.
Using the DAC App
- After coordinators receive the announcement email in the spring, download and install the DAC app on iPad models that will be used during the exam administration (see Technical Requirements).
- Follow the proctor script for the DAC app in the AP Exam Instructions to use the DAC app to record students' speaking or sight-singing responses on exam day.
- The DAC app correctly names students' files and directly uploads them to the Digital Audio Submission (DAS) portal.
- The AP coordinator or other authorized staff person logs in to the DAS portal from a computer connected to the internet after the exam administration to submit the files for scoring.
- The 2019 version of the DAC app for use on Apple iPad tablets will be available for download in the spring. Schools that use the DAC app must use the 2019 version of the app. (Files recorded using previous versions of the DAC app will not be accepted by the DAS portal.)
- A list of supported models for the DAC app will be coming soon.
- The iPads used during exam administration must be school-owned and -controlled, must remain in the school at all times, and must not be assigned or issued to specific students.
- Schools may not use iPhones® or student-owned or -controlled devices.
- There must be a WiFi connection in the testing room, in order to upload files directly to the DAS portal.
- The iPad must have a minimum of 20MB of storage space available for the app. If the iPad has insufficient storage space, a warning message will give instructions on how to remedy the problem.