After you’re authorized to teach AP with WE Service (apply here), we’ll send you a password to access teaching modules and training resources, and you can start integrating WE Service into your course.
You can implement AP with WE Service in the way that best suits your students’ needs—the program is designed to be flexible. We do recommend consulting this timeline, which can help you plan and teach your course.
Download the Recognition Rubric (.pdf/49KB)
This rubric shows teachers how to evaluate their students’ work on the service-learning part of the course curriculum.
- Review the Recognition Rubric to understand what’s required of your students. Download the Recognition Rubric (.pdf/49KB).
- Choose a teaching module. This module will be your main resource this year. Go to Teaching Modules to download the one you want. You’ll need to unlock it with the password we sent you.
- Participate in a training webinar, watch a training video, or view a recorded webinar. Go to Professional Development to see how. You’ll need your password to access some of these resources.
- Review the AP with WE Service Program Guide for complete details about the program and invaluable teaching resources. Download the AP with WE Service Program Guide (.pdf/11.1MB).
- Check out other resources, including a flyer about the program to share with students and parents. Go to Communications Toolkit.
- Sign in to the online community. Explore the official AP with WE Service Teacher Community. Connect with your colleagues, get advice and tips, share resources, and more.
- Decide how you’ll form groups and support students as they plan for and undertake service projects
- Create a pacing guide for the school year that includes regular check-ins with student groups.
- Introduce the program to your students. You can show them the video on the AP with WE Service homepage and send them to the AP with WE Service Students page on the WE website.
- Begin the Investigate and Learn phase of your module by incorporating activities from Part 1 of the “Teach” section into your classroom instruction.
- Divide students into groups and help them begin to determine their plan of action and service project.
- Check in with students and review student plans regularly.
- Set up your classroom in the AP Digital Portfolio. The Digital Portfolio is the online platform you’ll use to inform the College Board that your student has earned the AP with WE Service Recognition. Though this platform is called a portfolio, no portfolio submission is required of students for any of the AP with WE Service courses.
Here’s how to log in for the first time:
- Sign in to the AP Digital Portfolio.
- Enter the access code that we emailed you.
- For more information, download the Digital Portfolio User Guide for Teachers (.pdf/1.33MB) and the Digital Portfolio User Guide for Students (.pdf/517KB).
- Take the mid-year survey. We appreciate your feedback, which is critical to the development, growth and success of AP with WE Service.
- Guide students as they begin their service projects and remind them to record their activities.
- Submit the 2019-20 Authorization Form.
- Determine how your students will showcase their work.
- Plan a celebration (optional).
- Submit scores in the AP Digital Portfolio by June 30 for students who have completed their service projects.
- Take the end-of-year survey. We appreciate your feedback, which is critical to the development, growth and success of AP with WE Service.